Saturday 6 August 2011

Day 103: Sitting in my easy chair...

Contentious cover time!

Some people love this, others can't stand it I've found, I quite like it in a weird way, like a lot of their covers, I think its just a bit of homage, not a statement of intent.



Song: There's A Ghost In My House
Album: Single (But is on The Frenz Experiment reissue)
Year: 1987

As ever, this is a tad obscure for a cover, the original is a northern soul song by R Dean Taylor in 1965, which sounds much the same as this one. The only difference being it has been 'Fallified' with Mark's vocals being as unique as they are. They do however add a little verve to the song, making it sound a little more mysterious, the 'ghost' of the title is an ex-lover, the lines like 'sitting in my easy chair/I feel your fingers running through my hair' and 'looking in my coffee cup/I see your face looking up' confirm this, the ghost of a relationship haunting a man's mind. R Dean Taylor has done a very MES-style trick here, hiding quite dark lyrics under a pop sheen, obviously way ahead of the pack there.

The video for the song is pretty good, MES with what looks like eyeliner on, wanders round what I've since learned to be the Woodthorpe Hotel on Old Bury Road, which links Cheetham Hill, Crumpsall and Prestwich together. No idea if it is still there, I'm sure someone reading this could tell me. Brix plays the ghost here, looking demented under a bleach-blonde perm, the ghost seems a bit manic, smiling one minute, throwing cups at Mark the next. It then fades to some live footage which looks to be of the same era.

I've included the R Dean Taylor vid below, but I honestly prefer the Fall version.


2 comments:

  1. Suggerimenti per l'acquisto di una copia qui.Svizzeri perfetti Orologi Le persone trascorrono molto tempo a cercare su Internet, dove ci sono molte repliche di famosi marchi di stilisti in vendita,Repliche perfetti hublot Orologi e possiamo essere sicuri che siano di alta qualità e qualità.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been watching my watch.cheapest rolex watches After receiving the goods, I was surprised. The leather strap is comfortable, the watch is lightweight,replica datejust watches of high quality, and good price. If you are looking for a watch that suits your daily wear, this replica watch is definitely the perfect outfit. I will buy again!

    ReplyDelete